Builders celebrate major construction milestone at Barratt London's Broadwick Street development in Soho
Main contractor Balfour Beatty celebrated a key milestone in the construction of Barratt London's flagship Soho development, Soho 13 and Trenchard House today with a traditional topping out ceremony.
Barratt London Operations Director, Mark Ashall said: "Trenchard House had been vacant for 11 years and was in a very poor state of repair. With Balfour Beatty’s help we are developing the site into a modern mixed-use building with sustainability at its core.”
Soho 13 and Trenchard House will be a contemporary mixed-use building, built to high sustainability standards. It will incorporate 78 residential units, including 65 affordable homes and 13 private apartments, with additional retail space at ground floor level and restaurant facilities in the basement.
With a commitment to building a sustainable workforce, Balfour Beatty has employed five apprentices during the project, as well as work experience placements. Surrounded by retail, residential and commercial businesses, Balfour Beatty is also working closely with the local community throughout the project.
Trenchard House was formerly a police section house in Broadwick Street in Soho. The property was vacant for almost 13 years after it was decommissioned and sold by the Met Police. The site’s ownership moved from the HCA to the GLA in 2012 as part of the Localism Act 2011. In January 2013, the Mayor of London announced that Barratt London would be redeveloping the vacant public land site into 78 new homes, 65 of which will be affordable.
On completion Trenchard House will provide a new mixed-use development scheme in the heart of Soho, combining affordable and private apartments together with retail floor space on the ground floor and retail or restaurant use on the lower ground floor.
The features of the development are:
- 78 one, two and three-bedroom apartments over nine floors, many with private balconies and terraces, and made up of:
- Trenchard House - 65 one, two and three-bedroom Intermediate Rents, at rents set and agreed with Westminster City Council. These are affordable homes and apartments for the ‘economically active’ and will be let by the Dolphin Square Foundation
- Soho 13 - 13 private, open-market two and three-bedroom apartments on the top floors of Trenchard House
- Ground floor retail space and lower ground floor retail or restaurant space
- Underground car-parking, 134 secure cycle spaces and membership of the local car club for residents
- Road improvements including raising the road surface and introducing a one-way system to calm traffic
- Public access improvements to provide a daytime pedestrian thoroughfare at the rear of the site
- New planting and ecology-landscaped roof
Soho 13 and Trenchard House are scheduled for completion in 2015.