5 independent hardware stores in London for your homeware essentials
Mar 05, 2018
When you need tools, paint, cutlery and other homeware essentials, you might head to your local B&Q, Homebase, Wilko or Robert Dyas store, but there are plenty of great independent hardware shops in London that are well worth a visit. Shopping at local businesses supports families in your community, and you often get unbeatable customer service. If you’re new to the area, or have some DIY that needs seeing too quickly, here are some of the best independent hardware shops in the capital that’ll have everything you need.
1. Chapel Market Building and DIYIt might look small from the outside, but Chapel Market Building and DIY is surprisingly big once you step through its doors. Whether you’re looking for timber, boxes, plugs, compost or a new key, Tony Gill and his staff will be happy to help.
- Address: Market Building and DIY, 88 Chapel Market, N1 9EX
- Nearest station: Angel
2. Whitten TimberWhatever your wood requirements, you should visit Whitten Timber. Established in 1919 by the Whitten family and great for timber cut to size, wood flooring, fence panels, decking and worktops, it’s the leading timber merchants in London.
- Address: Eagle Wharf, Peckham Hill Street, SE15 5JT
- Nearest station: Peckham Rye
3. Clerkenwell ScrewsIf you ever need screws, nuts, bolts and dies, you should call into Clerkenwell Screws as they have stock over 12,000 different types. You can order online if you prefer, on their website, while they also offer special finishes, fast despatch and can make bespoke screws.
- Address: Clerkenwell Screws, 107-109 Clerkenwell Road, EC1R 5BY.
- Nearest station: Farringdon
4. FranchiFor stylish knobs, knockers, locks and other ironmongery for your doors, turn to Franchi. They stock power and hand tools, hinges, paint and DIY equipment too. They have three stores in London and one in Surrey. Address:
- Holloway Store, 278 Holloway Road, N7 6NE
- Kentish Town Store, 144-146 Kentish Town Road, NW1 9QB
- Kings Cross Store, 329-331 Gray's Inn Road, WC1X 8PX
- Holloway Road
- Kentish Town Road
- Chancery Lane