Buy your new home in Scotland
We can get you moving in Scotland
If you’re looking for a new home in Scotland, we’ve got a range of great developments across the country. And there are a number of schemes to make it easier to get on the housing ladder – or trade up to somewhere bigger.
Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee
Potential buyers in Scotland can still take advantage of Help to Buy and move into a home with a 5% deposit. Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee* means that the UK government will underwrite up to 15% of the value of your mortgage. This provides additional reassurance to mortgage lenders, which means they’re able to offer 95% mortgages.
Help to Buy isn’t the only scheme available to buyers. With our Deposit Boost**, we could add up to 5% of the purchase price to your deposit, as long as you’ve got a minimum of 10% already. On a £160,000 home that’s a Barratt contribution worth up to £8,000.
If you’re moving up the property ladder, selling your house can be an anxious time. But with our Part Exchange∞ scheme, we could offer to buy your existing home from you, so you’ve got one less thing to worry about. We’ll get two independent valuations of your property, and then make you an offer.
It’s a great time to buy^
As well as these schemes to help you move, there are other reasons why it’s a particularly good time to think about buying.
- Interest rates in the UK are at their lowest level in more than 300 years – the Bank of England base rate is currently just 0.5%. These cheaper borrowing costs mean that lenders are able to offer lower rate mortgages, something that many are now doing.
- Mortgage approvals are on the up, meaning people like you are more likely than before to get your application approved.
- UK rents, on the other hand, are the highest in Europe. And they’re getting higher across the country as a whole with one recent survey suggesting rates have risen at 12.5% over the last year.
- Recent LBTT changes (formerly known as Stamp Duty in Scotland) mean that if you buy a home under £324,280, you will pay less tax than you would have before 1 April 2015.
- Average house prices in Scotland have increased by nearly 15% over the year to March 2015, so property could be a good investment.
Buy with Barratt for peace of mind
All new Barratt Homes come with a five-year fixtures and fittings warranty², in addition to a ten-year warranty provided by the NHBC.
We can also put you in touch with a range of independent mortgage brokers, taking a lot of the hassle out of buying a home.
Where to buy?
The majority of our developments in Scotland are within close reach of the country’s three main cities.
- Glasgow is a lively and cosmopolitan city, steeped in history but continually looking to the future through redevelopment. The lush surrounding countryside is among the most spectacular in the UK.
- Edinburgh is the cultural hub of Scotland. From the world-famous Edinburgh Festival each summer to Hogmanay in winter, the city is rich in history and tradition. You’ll also find some of the most stunning architecture anywhere in UK.
- Aberdeen has quickly become one of the most popular cities in Scotland, due to its large population and the presence of the oil industry. You can choose from developments close to the city centre or a little further afield if you prefer peace and tranquility.
* ** ∞ Offers and schemes are available on selected plots only, subject to contract and status. Barratt Homes do not offer Mortgage Advice.
* Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee - The scheme is available in the UK and on homes up to the value of £600,000. The mortgage guarantee is provided to your lender not to you. Terms and Conditions apply.
** Deposit Boost - offer is to contribute up to a maximum of 5% deposit payable at the time of completion and is subject to lender’s criteria. Terms and Conditions apply.
∞ Part Exchange –Any offer made to purchase your existing home will be based on a sale within 8 to 10 weeks. Terms and Conditions apply.
^ It’s a great time to buy:
² Our 5 year warranty is available on virtually all of our developments and properties. The warranty extends the purchaser's 2 year NHBC non-structural Buildmark Policy to 5 years, though only for the benefit of the first purchaser. See Terms and Conditions of what is included and excluded under this warranty.