The six questions first-time buyers ask when moving house

Jun 15, 2023
First Time Buyer Question
Moving house can be quite a stressful time. As well as transporting your items, you want to make sure you’re completing each step with minimal stress. 

With over 7,200 people searching for ‘Who do I tell when it comes to moving house?’, the experts from Barratt Homes are here to help, with answers to the top searched questions about moving. 

1. Who do I need to tell that I am moving house? (7,200 annual searches)

When moving house, it can be hard to know who to contact first. Here are the most important organisations that you will need to inform before moving house:
  • Employer
  • Pension and life insurance companies 
  • Local council for council tax 
  • Royal Mail 
  • Contents and buildings insurance companies
  • Healthcare (doctors, opticians, dentists)
  • Banks
  • HMRC
  • TV Licensing 
  • Subscription services 
Royal Mail can redirect your post. This stops you missing important mail, although you will still need to inform all of the organisations listed above. Royal Mail will need at least five working days to arrange a redirection. 
It’s important to update insurance companies as soon as you have moved house, so they have the correct details for your house and car insurance. You can also take out insurance to cover any breakages or accidental damage when you are moving home.
Share details about your move after contracts have been exchanged because if the deal falls through, you’ll have to contact everyone again.

2. How do I move my council tax? (5,400 annual searches)

Your local council provides a form to fill in before you move, which ensures that you don’t overpay council tax. Contact the council in your new area to set up your new council tax payment plan. If you are unsure who to contact, you can find your local council here.

3. How do I set up temporary internet whilst moving house? (2,400 annual searches)

Contact a local broadband provider to set-up your new internet as early as possible before your move.  
If you need a temporary measure, check your mobile phone contract to see if it’s possible to tether your phone. You can purchase temporary internet packages from stores such as Curry’s. Alternatively, you can find free WiFi in public spaces including cafes, libraries and restaurants, although this may not be the most secure WiFi. 

4. What are typical moving fees? (1,200 annual searches)

This depends on whether you are using a removal company or hiring a van to do your own removal. If you are using a removal company, then it will cost anything between £500 and £2000. There are always hidden costs of moving house, such as bubble wrap and tape – which can cost upwards of £100.
If you are moving your own things, you will need to ensure you have blankets to cover furniture. Rather than purchasing blankets from a removal or storage company, you could buy second hand blankets from a charity shop – you save money and the charity benefits. 

5. How do I set up my gas and electricity once I have moved house? (1,080 annual searches)

First, you need to find out who supplies the gas and electricity for the house, as well as where the gas metre reading is located. Share your reading with your current supplier, or shop around for providers who may be able to offer a cheaper cost.
Make sure you take meter readings at the homes you are moving from. It’s best to also take photographs. 
You can get a quote for your new place from your existing supplier of gas and electricity or you can check out the best competitor quotes on one of the comparison websites. 
Also, ensure you tell your water company that you are moving and notify the new company, if it is a different supplier. 

6. How do I apply for a school place when moving house? (720 annual searches)

Start by researching schools in the area that you are moving to. Create criteria that you would like to be matched, whether that’s the distance from home, transport links, extra clubs or any additional support that a child would need. 
Depending on what time of the year you’re moving house, your child might have the option to start fresh in a new school year, or they can be offered what is called an in-year transfer (where they transfer straight over to a different school). Your local council will be able to give you more information on the schools available within your area. 
Take the stress out of moving by doing the right preparation and planning - you’ll be settled into your new home in no time! 
If you’re searching for your dream home, visit Barratt Homes to see what our sustainable new homes have to offer, along with support with your deposit