What Documents Do I Need When Buying a House?

Discover the must-have documents for a seamless home buying journey. Our guide simplifies the process, ensuring you have what you need to secure your home with confidence.
Couple getting their paperwork in order

Ready to buy your new home? There are a few essential house purchase documents needed, including:

• ID and proof of address
• Title deeds
• Mortgage deed
• Property Information Form (TA6)
• Fittings and Fixtures Form (TA10)
• Solicitor report
• Warranty
• Insurance policies
• Indemnity insurance
• Building survey
• Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
• Stamp Duty receipt
• Servicing records
• Building work guarantees
• Other guarantees

1. ID and proof of address

The first documents to share with your solicitor or conveyancer are your ID and proof of address. This can be a copy of your passport or driving license and a utility bill or bank statement.


2. Title deeds

Title deeds prove you own the property and include information about the previous owners. Since most Land Registry records are digital, you won’t receive a physical copy of these documents. However, your solicitor should provide a written confirmation that you’re the ‘registered proprietor’ within a month or two of completion.

3. Mortgage deed

You’ll receive a mortgage deed if you take out a mortgage to buy your home. This records the terms and conditions of your mortgage, including the amount borrowed, your interest rate and repayment schedule.

4. Property Information Form (TA6)

The Property Information Form (TA6) includes information about gas and electricity and who’s responsible for boundary fences. The seller must legally provide this, including as much supporting evidence as possible.

5. Fittings and Fixtures Form (TA10)

The seller compiles the Fittings and Fixtures Form (TA10) and outlines what’s included in the property sale. This can range from light fittings, curtains and floorings to white goods and garden plants.

6. Solicitor report

Your solicitor or conveyancer will summarise the legal title and property search results.

7. Warranty

A warranty shows that previous owners have been responsible when fixing something wrong. If the property you’re buying is new or under 10 years old, you’ll receive a copy of your Buildmark (NHBC) and other new home policy documents.

You can also ask the seller for a copy of any warranties for electrical goods, fixtures and fittings they leave behind.

Buying a new Barratt home means enjoying a 10-year warranty*. You’ll also benefit from a 2-year fixtures and fittings warranty which covers you for this period.

8. Insurance policies

You can choose between two types of home insurance when buying a new home with us:

• Building insurance. This covers significant repairs and rebuilding (e.g., structural damages to the roof or walls).
• Contents insurance. This protects you from damage or loss of contents in case of fire, accident or theft.

Learn more about home insurance in our comprehensive guide.

9. Indemnity insurance

Indemnity insurance protects you against the potential costs of fixing problems in the property.

For example, you could take out indemnity insurance if the seller can’t provide a building regulation certificate. This protects you from future fees if your local authority pursues a claim because you don’t have the certificate.

10. Survey

If you arrange a building survey, a surveyor will visit your property to carry out this report, including any necessary repairs or alterations.

11. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be included in the property sale by law. This rates your home’s energy efficiency, estimates carbon dioxide emissions and provides energy-saving tips.

12. Stamp Duty receipt

Stamp Duty tax applies to leasehold and freehold properties or land over £250,000 in England. Buying your first home? You won’t pay Stamp Duty unless it’s worth over £425,000. If it is, you’ll pay 5%.

You have 14 days to pay Stamp Duty after the purchase of your new home is finalised. Your solicitor can do this on your behalf and give you a receipt within 30 days of completion.

Read more about Stamp Duty and how it works in our guide.

13. Servicing records

If you suspect the boiler in your new home isn’t working correctly, ask the seller to provide you with the gas safety certificate from the last 12 months (if it isn’t already included in the Property Information Form).

14. Building work guarantees

The seller should provide guarantees if they have conducted building work recently. These are typically valid for 10 years.

15. Other guarantees

The seller should also provide guarantees for anything they’ve left behind, from new appliances to woodworm treatments. If they’ve installed double-glazing, they should provide you with the FENSA Certificate to confirm that all windows comply with building regulations.

Browse our new homes across the UK, energy-efficient, sustainable and equipped with modern specifications. Or discover our offers, designed to help you make your move.

*Although all of our homes come with an NHBC warranty, it is not always an NHBC Buildmark Warranty. Please speak to a Sales Adviser on your chosen development to confirm which NHBC warranty will apply to your selected plot.