The following information is about the home-buying process in England.
Looking to buy a home in Scotland? How buying works in Scotland
Get your finances in order
- The very first step for buying a new home is to check how much you can borrow, see how much your deposit will need to be and get a mortgage agreed in principle.
- This doesn’t tie you into anything – you can always choose a different provider later.
View our range of Offers
Find your dream home
- Now for the exciting bit – choosing a home.
- You can search our homes by location, development or nearby school.
Start your search now
Find a solicitor
- A solicitor takes care of all the legal aspects of the home-buying process. Remember to shop around for the best rate and make sure you find one that specialises in conveyancing (preparing the property transfer documents).
- To find out information on finding a solicitor, please get in touch with one of our developments and speak to a sales adviser who will be able to help.
Reserve your home
- Now you've got your finances in order and found a solicitor, it's time to reserve your dream home.
- Once your home is reserved, no one else will be able to reserve it.
Arrange your mortgage
- There are plenty of options to consider when it comes to a mortgage.
- Once you’ve done your research (or spoken to a mortgage adviser – we can put you in touch if you like) you can select the option that’s best for you.
Get a valuation and survey
- Your mortgage lender will want confirmation the home is worth what you’re paying for it.
- They’ll organise the valuation for you – this will involve a fee.
Complete legal work
- Your solicitor will look after this for you.
- It’s all about formally transferring ownership from us to you (known as conveyancing), and checking there are no legal obstacles in the way, like local plans that may affect the value of the property.
- Once the legal work is complete, your solicitor will exchange contracts with us. This is when you pay your deposit and commit to the deal taking place.
- We’ll then invite you to your New Home Tour, where we’ll take you round your new home and show you where things are and how everything works.
- You can now organise your move.
Complete and move in
- On the date of completion, you become the legal owner of your new home.
- The full cost of the property is transferred from your solicitor to the seller.
- Then the keys are yours and you can move in!