6 of the best things to see and do in Hendon
Nov 05, 2018
Hendon is a north London suburb, with some of the best transport connections and schools in the local area, as well as fantastic new home developments. In addition to that, there’s plenty to see and do in and around Hendon. Here are six things you really shouldn’t miss.
1. Royal Air Force Museum It’s been open since 1972 and is still one of the most popular attractions in north London. Situated on the historic site of Hendon’s London Aerodrome, it’s home to over 100 different aircraft from across the globe. Including some of the first designs, up to the latest and technologically advanced modern-day jets. You’ll also find plenty of leading military aircraft too, as well as several interactive and fun activities for the kids – these include a 3D cinema. And the best thing, entry is free.
2. Fenton House & Garden Fenton House and Garden is a National Trust certified, 17th Century House with a walled garden, just three miles away from Hendon Station. It promises a wonderfully picturesque setting, a 300-year old walled garden and a fantastic collection of early musical instruments and ceramics. The views across London from the balcony are definitely something to write home about.
3. Golders Hill Park The setting is quaint with plenty of grass, a duck pond, bandstand, children’s play area and water garden (complete with swans), as well as a recently upgraded small zoo (also free). During the summer, the space really comes alive with live music on the bandstand on Sundays and an Italian restaurant serving home-made ice cream. It’s the perfect place to spend lazy hours in the summer sun. Other parks and green open spaces in the local area include Hendon Park and nearby Hampstead Heath.
4. Stephen’s House & Gardens Just one mile away from Hendon, you’ll find the beautiful Stephen’s House and Gardens; a Grade II listed house with vast landscaped gardens. Both the property and the gardens were gifted to the people to use and enjoy by Henry Charles ‘Inky’ Stephens of the Stephens’ Ink Company. Ideal for a fun-filled day out, it’s a great spot to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Why not explore The Stephens Collection, or attend one of the numerous events throughout the year? If you have the time, take the guided tour around the gardens and visit Spike Milligan’s statue.
5. The Greyhound PubIf you’re looking for somewhere for the entire family to enjoy a relaxing atmosphere and friendly vibe, as well as fantastic food, then the Greyhound is one of the best pubs in Hendon. The roast dinners are great, the ales delicious, and the live jazz just tops it off. Other options for eating and drinking include The Beaufort Pub, Jin Sushi, and Kaifeng Restaurant.
6. Kenwood House Located on the northern boundary of Hampstead Heath, Kenwood House is a dramatic former stately home. The white exterior is stunning, while the interiors are beautiful and the art collection world-class. There are also plenty of activities for the kids including talks, tours and walking in the beautiful grounds. Living in Hendon promises fun-filled days out for all the family.