What documents do I need to sell my house?

Considering selling your home? We’ll take you through some of the most important documents you’ll need. 

These include the following:
  • Proof of identity
  • Property title deeds
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Copy of the lease (if your property is a leasehold)
  • Management information pack
  • New build warranties
  • Building work and other guarantees
  • Fittings and contents form (TA10)
  • Property information form (TA6)
  • Gas and electricity checks
a couple checking the documents

1. Proof of identity 

Your solicitor will first require proof of identity, like your driving licence or passport. They’ll also ask for proof of address, such as your recent utility bills or bank statements. 

2. Property title deeds

The title deeds prove that you’re the rightful owner of the property you’re selling. Your solicitor should have sent them when you bought your home, but you can request a copy from the Land Registry if you can’t find them. 

If you can’t retrieve them, you’ll need to apply for ‘Title Absolute’ from the Land Registry. 

3. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be included in the property sale by law. It rates your home’s energy efficiency and estimates its carbon emissions while suggesting ways to reduce them. If you don’t have an EPC, you must get one before your property is advertised. 

4. Copy of the lease (if your property is a leasehold)

If the home you’re selling is a leasehold, you must provide a copy of your leasehold. This is because your estate agent will need to include the property’s tenure, how many years are left on the lease and current ground rent and service charges in the marketing materials. 
If you’re unsure about the differences between freeholds and leaseholds, our guide is here to help. 

5. Management information pack

If you pay service charges or own a leasehold, you may be required to provide the management information pack. 

6. New build warranties

If your home is a new build or has been built in the last ten years, you should have a copy of your National House Building Council (NHBC).
Buying your home with Barratt Homes means benefitting from a 10-year structural warranty and a 2-year features and fittings warranty.
Discover the benefits of buying new in our guide.

7. Building work and other guarantees

If you’ve carried out building work recently, you must provide guarantees. These are typically valid for ten years. 

You should also provide guarantees for everything you leave behind. If you’ve installed double-glazing, you should provide your solicitor with the FENSA Certificate confirming all windows comply with building regulations.

8. Fittings and contents form (TA10)

The fittings and contents form, or TA10, outlines what’s included in the sale. This can range from furniture and ornaments to light fittings, flooring and garden plants.

9. Property information form (TA6)

The property information form, or TA6, is a questionnaire designed to give the buyer detailed insights into your home. Some of the elements it covers include:

  • Boundaries – who’s responsible for fences or hedges
  • Complaints – any ongoing disputes with neighbours
  • Proposals – notice regarding future planning developments in the area
  • Warranties – any warranties or guarantees on the property
  • Insurance – how much it costs to insure the house

10. Gas and electricity checks 

You should provide a gas safety certificate issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer showing that your boiler is safe. 
If you’ve altered your electric wiring since January 2005, you must request the ‘Part P Building Regulation’ certificate and provide it to your solicitor. This shows that everything meets the standards. You won't need this document if you haven’t done any work. 

Browse our modern and energy-efficient homes across the UK and offers for first and second-time buyers. Call our Sales Advisers today to reserve your property.

Help to Sell

If you’re looking to start your next adventure, but are worried about the hassle of moving, we have a range of schemes available to help you sell your existing home.

Armed Forces Deposit Contribution

We're offering Britain's military servicemen and women a 5% deposit contribution to help them buy a brand-new home.

Key Worker Deposit Contribution

As a thank you for the support provided to our communities, we are offering key workers a contribution of £1,000 for every £20,000 spent on the purchase price, plus flooring.

Own New - Rate Reducer

Own New - Rate Reducer is a brand-new scheme available on new build homes that could mean lower mortgage rates and reduced monthly payments.

Low Deposit Offers

If you have a low deposit, we have a variety of schemes available to help make moving more affordable. Learn more here.

Part Exchange

We could be your guaranteed buyer, so no stress or fuss, just an easy move for you and your family. 

Parent Power

If you’re getting financial support from your family or friends to help you get on the property ladder, we could match it, up to a maximum of 5% of the purchase price.