New homes near Barnard Castle
As well as the famous local castle, this town is known for its brilliant location close to a range of beauty spots such as the North Pennines, Nidderdale and the Yorkshire Dales. New homes in this area are always snapped up quickly, so don’t miss out on our developments closest to Barnard Castle below.
Make the Move
A historic market town located in County Durham, Barnard Castle is a charming place to live with a friendly local community and good commuter links to nearby cities. From the iconic Bowes Museum to the town’s castle and the North Pennines, new homes in Barnard Castle are close to lots of fascinating sights perfect for keeping the whole family entertained.
- Barnard Castle is located on the A67, providing good road links to nearby towns such as Darlington, Middlesbrough, and Stockton-on-Tees.
- The nearest railway stations are located in Darlington and Bishop Auckland.
- By car, Barnard Castle is approximately 20 minutes away from Darlington, 40 minutes from Stockton-on-Tees, and 45 minutes from Middlesbrough, which offers train links to London.
- Newcastle is less than one hour away, while York can be reached in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Heading west, Penrith is a 45-minute drive via the A66, and Kendal can be reached in under one hour.
- Durham Tees Airport is the nearest airport, located approximately 35 minutes away by car.
Places of Interest
- Bowes Museum: A renowned collection of public art featuring works by artists like Goya and El Greco. Housed in a beautiful 19th-century building, it is a popular gallery.
- Barnard Castle: The town's namesake, a historic castle that serves as a major attraction for visitors.
- Barnard Castle's cobbled streets and Georgian architecture create a historic and picturesque atmosphere. The area is home to popular cafes, independent boutiques, and restaurants, including the famous Blagraves House.
- The town hosts a weekly Wednesday market and a Saturday Farmer's Market, providing a lively atmosphere and local produce.
- Historic sights include Eggleston Hall Gardens and Eggleston Abbey
- Children and adults alike will enjoy a visit to Tees dale Alpacas and Weathering Zoo and Animal Sanctuary
- Barnard Castle hosts various events throughout the year, including the Barnard Castle Meet, an annual carnival held in May with roots dating back to the 19th century.Education
New homes in Barnard Castle are within catchment for a number of ‘Outstanding’ schools, as rated by Ofsted, including St Mary’s Roman Catholic VA Primary School and Cotherstone Primary School. Barnard Castle School, an independent boarding school, is nearby while higher education is provided just a short drive away at Tees side University in Middlesbrough.